One of those "Oh hai dere" mornings and an education lesson

This might not be a post for everyone, but that's why there's that "close" button at the top. My husband and I own two ball pythons.  Let it be known I'm terrified of the wild.  I grew up on a farm and them getting in the house and stepping over them barefoot outside is not something I want to repeat... But I have this fascination for the reptiles.  One of my biggest regrets is not having enough time to check out the Outdoor herpaterium at the San Diego Zoo when I was there. Some education for those that are completely against snakes in the house because we do see some pretty wild stories about negligence from owners. First: Ball Pythons are small managable snakes.  I have two boys that might hit 4 1/2 feet long at the most, so they won't get to a size to eat my face, my pets, or small children.  2.  They're more docile than most "pet" snakes.  They get scared, they curl into a ball, hence the name "Ball Python."  However, just like the majority of animals, they aren't completely predictable and harmless, but they do give off blatant signs about what they're about to do, for instance, hissing when they don't want to be disturbed. As a pet owner, it's my job to provide a suitable environment for them.  *cough cough...a quilt over the enclosure doesn't cut it...cough cough.  They're tank is clamped down.  And when they move to a bigger tank, I'll buy another set of clamps to add to the clamps that lock, yes LOCK the top metal screen lid to the tank.  (See what I did there.  I make sure they can't get out.  :) ) And again, read they're behavior to see what's going on. We're usually pretty good about this.  We're also pretty lucky that we got both Chaos and Zephyr when they were really young and make sure to handle them often so they're used to people. We've been a little busy and were going to up the feeding schedule to once a week since they both seem to have come off of fasts are were keen to eat again, and ended up missing last week. Imagine my surprise when I walk up the stairs and see this glob of shimmery white bunched up in one of the rock hides.  I told myself, it couldn't be, but apparently, it was.  One of the boys ended up shedding.  Now, a week and a half ago, neither of them had any signs of going into a shed.  But there was the proof.  An entire shed, in tact for the most part, except that it was wadded up into a gigantic ball. I feel so negligent today, shocked, and impressed: Negligent that we didn't notice the signs of an incoming shed.  Shocked to see a shed my husband and I had no clue about.  And impressed since both of them have usually taken at the least, two weeks to go through a shed cycle.  They're special boys and seem to take forever to do anything.  *tear*  They're growing up so fast!

08/31/2011 8:41AM
One of those "Oh hai dere" mornings and an education lesson
Please Enter Your Comments Below
09/06/2011 6:00AM
iphone 5
Hello, just required you to know I he added your internet site to my Google bookmarks due to your layout. But seriously, I feel your web website has 1 in the freshest theme I??ve came across. It extremely helps make studying your weblog significantly easier.
Title :
Comment :

advertise with us
Recent Blog Posts